Monday 6 February 2012

BA2: Digital Sculpting


Mudbox Notes from Lectures & Practical Sessions

Here are a collection of notes I was able to make during  previous lectures and practical sessions of Mudbox. I'm really enjoying the Mudbox sessions, I feel that it will be a tight fight between 3D modelling and digital sculpting (although very similar) as to which I will follow further. All I can say right now is I want to give the sculpt my best go, the only problem that I face are with my laptop, it’s not exactly cut out for digital sculpting. I have ordered a new custom built pc and I am just waiting on my new monitor which I hope to get in a week so I can really put the last couple of weeks left till the deadline to good use on my sculpt. 

Hold “B” to re-size your brush

“ctrl” will make an indent to your sculpt

“shift” will smooth your model

Select the “grab” tool to move large sections of your sculpt

Freeze tool > blue mask > want to be affected when using grab tool 

“Freeze” tool, hold “M” to affect the strength of the blue & use “ctrl” to remove the blue/frozen areas.

Start in low level polygon mesh to block in initial shapes 

Try to get the proportions of your sculpt correctly in the lowest sub divisions before you start adding in detail in higher subs. 

Make sure the top lip sits on top of/further over the bottom lip.

If you create a hole on your sculpt DONT use the sculpt tool to fill it up, use the “FILL” tool.

If your structure isn’t quite right, you can drop down into lower subs, move the area (chin, ears, nose etc) and when  back in a higher sub it will move the detail.

Generally work by making a shape then smoothing it over. 

No complex saving methods like in Maya (files are saved in .mud files) just open the programme and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment