Tuesday 29 October 2013

BA7 | Concept and Pre-Production #05


Studio Project Introduction..Sort Of
Whilst I have pretty much already introduced you to my studio idea; I want to build a 3D environment that would be found in a horror game. So yeah, you already know the idea behind my studio portion of BA7, but I thought I would clarify a few lose ends up so that reading BA7 | Concept & Pre-Production posts for both studio AND research report doesn’t become confusing. 

My studio and research report projects are BOTH on the subject of horror, the research I do will OVERLAP and therefore I don’t deem it necessary to split my blog between the two separate projects.

Any research I do for my research report will also benefit my studio work and vice versa.

I will be cherry picking research that I do, the most helpful and beneficial research, to put into my research document, my blog will, however, contain every piece of research I do. 

Core Studio Related Research
Okay, so I have established that my BA7 blog is a mixture of research that relates to both my research report AND studio project. There are, however, pieces of research I want to do that will certainly be more beneficial to my studio than my research report. Research such as the following (which I plan to continue onto doing now so that I can present it next week): 
  • Practical studio related responses to research.
  • Practical responses to work such as artists, 3D examples, literature, films, pre existing games etc.
  • A series of game environment and asset creation studies.
  • Environment design and creation.
  • Lighting and rendering, especially in horror.
  • Tips and tricks in Maya to aid me in making a horror environment from creation, build, texturing, lighting, special effects to rendering.

Jess Plays Outlast!
Horror Environment Study - WARNING POSSIBLE  SPOILERS
Okay so here it is, my first horror game environment study and also my first post associated more with the studio portion of BA7. Like I said though, my studio and research projects blend together and any research done for one part will still benefit the other so I am lucky :D Lets get this started then, horror game environment study number one is from Outlast, a game I had been eagerly watching and anticipating for a while and boy I wasn’t disappointed. 

IMAGE SOURCE 
Outlast is horror game that plays strongly on the players psychological strings. It was developed and published by Red Barrels Games who aimed to create a game based strongly on common perceptions of survival horror. It was released on Steam not long ago, September 4th 2013 to be exact, and is scheduled to be released on PS4 early next year.

 VIDEO SOURCE

Horror  Gameplay?
Outlast is a first person perspective survival horror game whereby the main character, Miles Upshur, is seemingly trapped in an asylum. As a journalist, Miles is sent to the remote mountains of Colorado to write and document events that took place in the abandoned asylum Mount Massive.

One of the key features which places Outlast securely in the survival horror camp is that Miles is un armed and incapable of combat. Any threats caused by enemies encountered can be deadly if not treated by running away and hiding. This is seen in other horror games being released, as the genre seems to be making a comeback, such as Amnesia and Slender: The Arrival

IMAGE SOURCE (LEFT) IMAGE SOURCE (RIGHT)

How and why is this a concrete example and evidence of survival horror gameplay? Well, the technique has been used in previous survival horror games, games which were perceived to birth the genre into the medium.  Common attributes would be as follows: 
  • Little/no ammunition
  • Melee weaponry only, if given a gun, ammo is scarce, player made to feel like every bullet counts.
  • Character/player is unable to physically fight every enemy encountered, running away is a totally valid and needed option.
  • Health is often easy to lose, heightening sense of fear and panic, if health is given to the player it is often little and far between.
  • Puzzle solving to progress.
  • Bigger emphasis on narrative and story telling than action.
I found a really good video which documents examples of survivor horror games, their origins and influences. The presenter gives a fully rounded list of techniques directly associated with original survivor horror games and talks about why they are considered the defining mechanics of the genre. This will better help explain my notes on survival horror and help introduce Outlast so that any notes I post on my screen shots make sense when referring to the game as a survival horror. 

 
VIDEO SOURCE 
 
Outlast - Survival Horror Gameplay
Keeping in mind the video I have just posted, Outlast most certainly falls into the survival horror camp. The games intention is to explore and survive. Not blast your way through with an Amory's worth of ammo and guns, destroying anything that dares to challenge you.  

In Outlast, the only item at the players disposal to aid them is a video camera that has a night vision ability. Players can only use this if they have enough batteries in their inventory to power the camera and finding batteries can often prove difficult; perhaps a throw back to old save mechanics in Resident Evil whereby the player could only save their game progress if they had an “ink ribbon” in their inventory.

All screen shots are ones I have taken during gameplay unless stated otherwise. 

 
As you can see here I was completely at the games mercy, it threw me into sheer darkness and the only comfort was the night vision mode on my camera, even though the fear wasn’t removed because I knew the longer I stayed with the camera on, the faster my battery was going to die. I needed the camera on, however, because I was being stalked and needed to ensure I wasn’t found. I had no other way of protecting myself other than my ability to sneak and hide, which could have been taken away at any time if the batteries had died. This mechanic made me panic and feel incredibly nervous and anxious whilst in the dark. 

 Another survival horror gameplay mechanic is hiding. Often I was forced to run away and hide in a dark room and wait for my enemy to check the room. I would hide under beds with my night vision turned on so that I could check when the enemy was in the room with me. I could only do this if I had enough battery though, if I didn’t (which happened a lot) I would have to rely on my senses, listening to hear the enemy walk away or close the door whilst I was hidden in darkness. 
 
Outlast Mechanic Influenced By Film
In an interview with Red Barrels, the development team behind Outlast, Tim Turi discusses the influences that went into Outlast.

“Amnesia may have helped Red Barrels nail down gameplay concepts for Outlast, but both games obviously draw inspiration from the horror genre’s long history of films.”

Chateauneuf explains that the camcorder mechanic used in Outlast was inspired heavily by horror films “Recand “Quarantine” both of which utilize the “handy cam” approach to film making whereby the audience see’s through the perspective of a film maker or reporter. 

“The one that really inspired it was the most I would say – it’s in little pieces – but Rec and Quarantine were really something that inspired us,” says Chateauneuf about the found-footage horror flicks. “In those movies they are always recording or a reporter gets into places…and then you always have that night-vision camera where we can see some things. That was something that I thought, ‘Why is there no game like that?’”

This is actually the ending scene to REC so don’t watch if you want to avoid spoilers, however for me this was the scariest part of the film. The characters are hiding from an enemy who is aesthetically unnerving when seen through the night vision camcorder. It is overwhelmingly similar to scenarios from Outlast where I would be hiding myself from an enemy. The emotions the characters go through in this scene are entirely similar to those that I felt whilst playing Outlast and put in similar situations. 
Outlast - Implementing Horror Narrative Into Environments
Another thing I have decided to study in horror games to help me design my own horror environment scene is how games inject elements of horror narrative into their environments. Outlast does this particularly well I have noticed, the environments often try to communicate something extra to the player and that message is usually an uncomfortable one bathed in blood, guts or unnerving objects. 

This is something I want to focus on within my design, I want to inject elements of fear into the audience by implementing elements of horror narrative through design. You’ll understand further when you see the following screen captures I took whilst playing.

An oddly placed wheelchair, suggestion of panic and struggle in the way it has fallen, with smears of blood stains along the floor suggesting something painful has happened. Someone has been hurt and forcefully dragged away from the comfort of their wheelchair, most likely against their will, causes panic in the player, emotions of panic, anxiety and confusion.
Religious symbols often cause players to feel uneasy, those who don’t understand religion or comprehend its values to others can feel a sense of abandonment and confusion.
Writing scribbled in blood on walls ordering the player to do a specific command or giving directions cause an sense of distrust.
This was an area in the game I couldn’t reach, I could only voyeuristically peer through the gates and try to understand what had happened. It made me feel scared because of the blood and the fact that I was in the dark, both metaphorically and literally speaking, scared me.
This area really inspired me, the entire aesthetics of the scene, the way its set up, lit, modelled and organised all help build a horror narrative. The fallen ladder suggests struggle or failed escape, something you don’t want to see whilst trying to flee, while the blood emphasises the fact that there is significant dangers that may be fatal. Aesthetically speaking, this is how I envision my environment to take shape.
A dark mysterious cubby leads to a pair of legs, blood leads the player causing nerves and panic, slowly revealing a un easy narrative.
 
Outlast -Lighting and Atmosphere
Outlast has superb atmosphere and I have decided that one of the reasons for this is definitely due to the lighting. The lighting in Outlast is, in itself, terrifying. Usually because there is no light, but that’s the point.

I would often see areas of environments soaking in as much light as possible to enable the player to catch a glimpse of something important or to reveal just enough detail so that the player knows where they are. Often in these pools of light, I would be faced with a mask of foggy mist, further decreasing my sense of vision and forcing me to feel nervous in specific areas.

Lighting is something I really want to focus on for my environment project. I want to study horror lighting and the techniques used to induce emotions of fear, panic and anxiety in the audience.

One of the main reasons for lighting causing distress, uneasiness and discomposure is that when playing a game that surrounds you in darkness to scare you, there is no good reason for the game to allow you the comfort of light. Therefore there is usually a reason, a unnerving reason, as to why the game has allowed the player to have light.

Often while playing outlast, light would only highlight areas of the environments that caused me to feel intimidated. Whether an oddly bright flickering light was illuminated blood stained walls, or allowing me to see to the end of a corridor only to see an eerie shadow/figure/presence lurking at the end, I would always feel anxiety when the game allowed me light.  
As you can see here, this environment was very threatening to me as a player. I was confined in a jail like scene with very little light. This specific part of the game made me jump as I walked along and was suddenly confronted by two NPC’s who were only just visible thanks to the light placed behind them. There were other scenarios where I was put in a similar situation…



Shutter Island (film, 2010)
Martin Scorsese’s 2010 psychological thriller Shutter Island was released in 2010, before Outlast, and has some scenes which use light almost identically to Outlast, even using a prison environment.

Why am I saying this? Well the idea of both my research report and studio project is to study how horror is injected into games by analysing how it is created in other mediums too, such as films.
  

Later in the film, Leonardo’s character, Edward “Teddy” Daniels, visits the infamous “Ward C” where it is known dangerous, criminally insane, patients are housed. Daniels is banned from entering but breaks in regardless to investigate. 
 
The environment within Ward C is incredibly reminiscent of Outlasts’. Little next to no lighting, dark claustrophobic areas, misty atmosphere, grungy, dirty and messy. Perhaps it was an influence on the game? Or maybe it’s just an example of how films and games can cross over, using similar methods to evoke anxiety, dread, suspicion and panic into their audience. 





The Grudge (film, 2004)

The Grudge is a supernatural horror film released in 2004 and directed by Takashi Shimizu. It is based on and a remade version of  the Japanese film Ju-ON: The Grudge. 

The main point I wanted to make refers to a specific scene in the film (and it’s Japanese predecessor) whereby the audience is forced to peer down a long dark corridor as the grudge creepily moves towards them. 

 
VIDEO SOURCE
 
The Grudge was released when I was a lot younger and I remember being incredibly scared by it, am emotion that has stuck with me since I watched the film many years ago. So, when I came across this environment in Outlast, it conjured up a large sense of fear and anxiety in me, simply because of the “long dark corridor” technique The Grudge, and many other horror films, used.  

 
This last batch of screenshots show examples of similar light set ups id like to recreate in my horror environment, I know I haven’t got a solid concept or  theme yet for my environment but from the ideas I have flowing through my head, these are certainly mechanics I want to look into further.






Conclusion
Outlasts’ environments are terrifying, I think this is down to a mix of clever lighting, atmospheric mist/fog and clever use of layout. Elements that I want to take onto my 3D environment are certainly:
  • Eerie lighting, typical in that of horror games such as Outlast and films such as Shutter Island and The Grudge.
  • Foggy atmosphere clouding the players judgment, view and perception.
  • Pools of light that highlight a horror related narrative, a bloodstain, broken ladder, dishevelled assets, signs of struggle.
  • Destroyed, unmaintained textures and use of rubbish on the floors. 
  • Appropriate use of dead space bathed in darkness to increase environments of panic for the player. 

No comments:

Post a Comment