Thursday 3 May 2012

BA3: Digital Modeling


Building my Door!
Well this has been an emotional rollercoaster. It ended so well but started so badly. I felt really apprehensive about building my door in Maya, I could barely build the companion cube (at the time!) and felt even worse about building a game engine ready door. However, with a few tips and help starting I managed to create the door itself! It was full on from there on. 

I have built the whole door so this blog post may seem long and overdue. Never mind,  at least it’s done! As I had help with the door itself I haven't got any screen shots to show the progression or explain what I did. However, I can pretty much do a talk/type through and an image so it makes more sense.  I also don’t have enough time to post all the door component walkthroughs right now so I will just do the door and pillars for now. 

The Door

 Front View
 Side View

Semi Birds Eye View/ Side

1: I started off with a cube which I scaled up to create half the door (later to be duplicated into the other half of the door). I then used a series of extrudes and bevels to create the large squares inserts you see on the door front as well as the outer edge/rim of the chunky Greek door. Simple really but I just couldn’t get it started! This way mark showed me though (making half the door then duplicating it) worked great, this way (if I wanted too) I could animate the door opening and it would have a realistic crack/opening down the centre of the door. The geometry is also very tidy. 

The Pillars
These I am very proud of, I made them all on my own. Will try to keep the explanation as brief as possible. 

1: Started with a standard cube from the polygon shelf and scaled it to the required size. Using extrude and bevel, I was able to create the shape you see below. By making the quantities minus, I was able to bring the face out and achieve the desired shape. 

 
2: Here I carried on extruding, bevelling and offsetting the same cube to keep bringing it upwards so that it created the base of the pillars.


3: This bit is pretty self explanatory/the same. I offset the top of the base section and then extruded it to create the first block section you see below. I then offset each of the sides and extruded them inwards to create the desired effect.




  
4: Still using the extrude tool I was able to select the whole top face of the new pillar section and offset it so that it came out at an angle from the pillar to create the right shape.

 
5: Rinse and repeat again, I was able to use the extrude tool, still all on the same shape for efficiency, and literally offset it to the desired amount to create the main/long pillar section of the design. To add the extruded inward faces like the smaller section below on the pillar I had to insert some edge loops/interactive split tool around the entire pillar mesh and ensure they were correctly spaced out and even so that I could then select the face and extrude it in. For some reason I couldn’t re sue the extrude tool to offset the faces equally.


  
6: I kept extruding until I eventually redesigned the pillar, not much but fairly drastically. I changed the top part to a more flat and square shape (ready for the arch). This you can see below. I also decided the design looked silly against the wall because it stuck out and this also looked wrong with the arch. This is when I decided that I wanted the extruded angles at the front of the pillar but the back needed to be flat against the wall. I used the boolean tool to do this. 


7: Boolean is an easy way to cut out desired shapes in Maya. It has 3 different options to achieve the shape you want. It usually (as I have found out many a time since) works on fairly simple geometry. It took a few attempts for it to work on my pillar which was frustrating! Eventually I got it, I have no idea why, I guess Maya felt sorry for me? 
 
8: I created a fresh cube from the shelf and sized it so that it fit directly over the back of the pillar to ensure it gave a flat edge. I then used the boolean tool and used it with the “difference” option (so that it cuts away anything inside the new shape has been put on top of  it).


Final outcome from behind after boolean

Final outcome/final pillar design from a front/semi side angle (I duplicated the pillar I made to create 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment