Sunday 13 May 2012

BA3: Digital Modeling


Digital Modeling Conclusion
God of War III Inspired Door
This project was really tough to get into, embracing Maya as a complete novice to the software and trying to produce something of a high quality and standard was far, far too daunting.

However, I overcame my fears and concerns for the programme and soon found a mutual love and hate for Maya. Sometimes parts would go so smoothly I would breeze through and other times it would crash constantly on me. 

Having said this I am so proud of my model, I actually prefer it to my textured version (for reasons I will discuss on my BA3: Render/Texture conclusion). 

I finished this model quite a while ago and very recently added some small side walls to emphasis the size of the door. In God of War most of the architecture is incredibly large, overpowering and intimidating. It has to be, alot of the environments are home to the Gods of Olympus! I was told I needed to add something in to portray this otherwise my door could be any size. These small side walls were added in when I began texturing so unfortunately I didn’t do a step by step guide for them although they were really simple to build using the knowledge I learnt by building this door. 

If I had more time I would perfect the archway geometry, it is ever so slightly wonky in places for some reason (probably due to my over picking with detail). I would of also liked to have done something alot more elaborate in the archway where I have put the square looking detail. One of my original plans was to do a model of Hades helmet. Hades is a character in God of War and his helmet is a signature symbol of his character therefore this would fit in as a door to his environments. However time did not allow me to learn how to move my model into Mudbox, do a decent sculpt and finish for the deadline.

Overall I am so proud of this model. I am a complete novice on Maya but feel so proud to have accomplished this on my own (with help on a few bits from friends and tutors) and I feel it has turned out looking very smart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment