Sunday 7 October 2012

BA4: Game Design Document #04


What is a Game Design Document?
We have to produce a games design document for our concept. Right now it is really early days so I am just going to write a small introductory blog on game design documents with some clear notes on how they work and why they are used so that I can better prepare myself during the project. 

We have briefly covered game design documents (gdd for short) in previous uni projects so I do have some research on them already. Regardless here are some notes I have made from initial research.
  • Usually written prior too the games development and edited during production. 
  • One thing all GDD have in common is that they will be used to inform the programmer or artist everything they need to know in order to create your game.
  • You must consider your audience, you’re not writing to a fellow gamer, you are writing to a programming team or conceptual artists.
  • Words need to be incredibly precise, nothing vague.
  • Creating core statements which express your game in a small amount of words is good.
  • What is your game trying to be about and say?
  • Things to consider when trying to explain your game in a core statement: This game is about/being an…? This game stimulates…? This game lets you play…?
  • There needs to be instruction on how the games core mechanics work, combat, menu’s, customisation (if any) etc.
  • Contents page detailing every important and crucial aspect of your game. 
In Other News…
I am currently playing Amnesia. Not only am I not used to WSAD controlls (yes alright, pc noob over here) which means I am constantly running into walls, but did anyone ever tell you that game is reeeeeeeeeeally scary D:

I am making notes and screen capping as I play so I can document and pull back images for inspiration and ideas for our games concept. I plan on playing some more so I will wait till I am “done” to post the rest.
 
 This is how I am reacting, only, a lot worse :3

Video taken from YouTube user antistaticgames
  

No comments:

Post a Comment