Tuesday 16 October 2012

Year 2: Life Drawing


Life Drawing, Round 2
Another year at uni brings another timetable with various life drawing classes scattered around it. Now, let me get this straight, I love drawing. When I am at home with a cup of tea, an idea in my head and nothing to disturb me until I am happy with the outcome it is great!. Life drawing is nothing like this. I am in a room full of people judging my every line (which is usually a wobbly one) and I find that usually this knocks my confidence more so than building it up.

This year I decided to buy a sketchbook for the classes and that I would sit down to do my studies and by doing this I immediately felt
  more comfortable. We were unable to have a model for this session so we focused on our own hands and faces which in itself was hard because I kept moving even though I didn’t mean to! Anyway, here are my studies. 

HAND_01
 

HAND_02


HAND_03


HAND_04


  The hand sketch 01 is the one I am least happy with, the proportions are wrong with regards to my palm and throws off the entire sketch. I  had a similar issue with hand 02, my clenched fingers are in proportion and lookj correct however my palm is too wide. Clearly palms hate me :P 

Hand sketch 03 & 04 are my favourite. While the knuckles might look slightly off in hand 03 I am happy with how I made the sketch look more 3D instead of flat considering we didn’t have a lot of time and for some stupid reason I made really abstract hand shapes. It was hard to make the thumb look as if it was pointing away from me. Hand o4 is my favourite. The proportions are correct and the shape is good. 

Slightly Profile Portrait of Olive 


Slightly Profile Portrait of Stacey

 
The portraits were hard as we all kept moving and everybody was laughing which just made it even harder (even though it really was hilarious). I am fairly happy with the outcome although I just could not finish the two sketches quick enough to my standard. Had I of been at home studying a photograph I could  have easily worked on these and made a much better job; that is where the confidence knock keeps setting in. I know im not the only one who thinks this.

Either way, I seem to focus heavily on the eyes and noses for both the drawings. Hair, chin and ears seem to be invisible to me. Something I need to work on when doing fast sketches.
I am fairly happy with the work I have produced considering my feeling towards life drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment