Monday 7 November 2011

Project 2: Apple Interactive Concept


Trying to Find a "Style" 
Yesterday and today has seen me trying to get together a suitable "style" for my concept work for my Apple game/working title "Animal Kid". I have been struggling to find an art style that suits my game and the way it will look. I have gone from ultra detailed portraits all the way through to anime and I just can't get the right balance of detail and clarity to fit a game which will probably be on a small screen.

I plan to do a separate post on influential artists and work that has inspired me but right now I am only doing very early concepts of the boy, trying to figure out his personality and how I can portray that through the design. I am taking inspiration from everywhere. When I finally come up with a design for him that I like, I will post up influences and how I got from rough designs (that I am about to show you) to his final concept. I have also done some rough concepts (and I really do mean rough) of the cave he finds as part of the background story. Here they are:

Early Environment Art
  • Young boy is exploring the woods and comes across a cave 
  • Top concept is too desert like, not enough woodland
  • The bottom concept is too bland, I did it quickly and it shows
  • The middle concept is a good balance showing trees and more woodland around the cave
 
Character Concept Ideas 
None of these represent my character (the young boy). I haven’t started designing the animals to ride or level designs yet because I want to get the character down on paper with a solid style for the entire game. I have been going back and forth between a simple, "blocky" anime styles to fairly detailed portrait work. Here are some of my early concepts just so you can see what I am up too whilst trying to get a solid design/style down.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment