Sunday 3 February 2013

BA5 Contextual Studies #03


I Guess I Better Get This Started!
(WARNING!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN VIDEOS AND WRITTEN WORK) 

I have had ideas floating around in my mind as to the headline for my final written piece for CS since I did my presentation a few weeks ago focussing on downloadable content. I am still sure this is the subject I want to do but it’s the nature of the essay I am struggling with. 

 I’m also at a bit of a dead-end research wise which is unlike me! So, today I have spent time watching  discussion based videos and reading argumentative articles on the subject of DLC. It has been really helpful in sparking up ideas in my mind for potential essay questions and areas of importance to research and discuss. Those areas, as they stand at the moment are: 

Replay Ability
Fresh Content
New stories and modes
More trophies, achievements, goals and rewards
Research the types of DLC further
Look into the cost of DLC
What are the positive and negative effects of DLC
How does DLC affect gamers and the gaming industry
Consider DLC origins, such as Pokémon cards xD
What advantages can be gained from DLC and how they affect the player in game 

To start the research ball rolling I began looking at this video by Jeff Gerstmann who was tasked to discuss his views and opinions on the subject of on disc DLC. Quite a specific point for me to jump into but it gave me a lot to think about. 

 
Video Source: Youtube user NeedlerFanPudge. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJP38W6dbU8

He makes some really interesting points such as his comments on how some people complain about DLC  ruining the gaming industry but he states that its just the business evolving but with growing pains. He actually argues that on disc DLC makes more sense so it loads for everyone. He also says that people who complain that the DLC, such as map packs, should be on the disc straight way like it would have been originally are wrong; developers just wouldn't have been making that content so its actually a sort of blessing.

He says that announcing DLC prior to the full titles release date is “tacky” sure, but often its due to in house development processes that they begin to create these extra content add-ons' while the games in its final stages.

This got me thinking about Mass Effect and the controversy about their DLC offers, day 1 DLC and on disc DLC which enraged their fans. I found a video of a guy talking about the ups and downs of the DLC and his opinions and views on the matter.

 
Video Source: Youtube UserTotalBiscuit, The Cynical BritVideo Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM
  
Around the 12minute 50 second mark he talks about the Prothean character which is incredibly significant to the entire story of the Mass Effect universe who was actually developed prior to the games release. In other words, the character was apparently designed, created and coded into the game prior to Mass Effect 3’s launch. 
 
This video took me onto watching a panel discussion from Bioware who addressed their fans glossing over the DLC issues and general game matters. I'm including it because it was 57 minutes long and I watched the entire thing even though it wasn’t as DLC focussed as I had thought originally :’)

 
Video Source: YouTube Channel GameSpot. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8BSg9KIe0k

I am going to do a blog post on the DLC controversy of Mass Effect soon as I think it’s one of the most prominent stories of recent times which is solely associated with DLC. For now though I want to quickly move onto the next video I watched which was simply a voice over gameplay video focussing on micros transactions and how they support the developers through this.
 
 
Video Source: YouTube user MorninAfterKill. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx_ZJ81SU1A
  
This has given me a lot to consider and think about when I further my research for my written piece. I need to now consider my question and hone in on the main areas of focus. I mentioned earlier the areas I was interesting in researching so I will start there and hopefully find some interesting material to include and reference in my work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment