Tuesday 12 February 2013

BA5 Studio Project | Production #28


Overcoming my Irrational Fear of Texturing!
(please note that the textures I use are free to use from various FREE TEXTURE sites. I will produce a blog post giving credit once I have finished using them)

Today at uni I began to texture the bookcase asset for my scene. I was so irrationally scared to start it and I have no idea why, when I got going it was really fun, time consuming but genuine fun! With the ambient occlusion and UV snapshot in Photoshop I had to add a mid tone grey base colour underneath both the layers to ensure my textures weren't completely exaggerated. I then began with the first base texture.

 
However, this texture looked awful. It’s grungy and dark just how I need it to ensure its associated with my game design document but there just isn't enough detail, it looked too flat. So I asked Lothar and he said that I needed to tone down the saturation because it looked overly grungy and too bright. With this in mind, I took to Photoshop with various textures and started combining them to try and enhance the wood texture. 

I used a variety of layer settings, opacity changes, erasers, hue/saturation's, vibrancy's and other tools in Photoshop to acquire the right look for the wood.  Here’s the process I went through to create the main wood texture. 

  
At this point I decided to apply the texture onto the bookshelves to see where it needed more work. Here is the render.  

 
After I showed Lothar my progress he said that it still needed a lot of work, I needed to enhance the broken wood quality, adding cracks and splints to express how this bookcase wasn’t just “normal”. So I went back to Photoshop with new textures and kept editing the image. I started to find textures with cracks and more detail that I needed to apply.  

  
With this new detail added into the wood, I did a fresh render in  Maya to see how it they looked.

 
Even though this was an improvement on the previous version I still  knew I had to add more detail to ensure my asset was believable but also retained its likeness to Distorted Delirium. I decided to take Lothars advice further and add old newspaper scraps into the texture as if someone had done a bad fixing job…I dunno, Lothar seemed to think it was a good idea so I just went with it >:D



 Despite my best efforts I thought I had recorded images for all my renders, alas I am missing the one where I added the newspaper textures on their own so I am going to have to skip onto the next part which was assigning the wood texture I had created to the correct areas of the UV snapshot and ensuring that the ambient occlusion didn’t make them entirely black. 



When it came to assigning textures to the other parts of my diffuse map I realised that parts of my ambient occlusion made the texture appear black. To fix this I had to manually paint over the dark areas, on Photoshop, using a lighter grey colour so that the textures would actually show up correctly.  With the ambient occlusion slightly altered I was able to apply the rest of my textures and finish the model (for now).

Top is before, bottom is after. 

 
As you can see after I adjusted the ambient occlusion values my textures popped and also had more depth. I did another render and here is the outcome.

 
Thinking ahead to producing specular maps, I thought it would be cool to use the blood splatter paint brushes I downloaded for Photoshop for the last project. I figured I could add a couple of blood spatters onto the textures and produce a specular map so that they appear glossy as if the blood was really there. Just a thought :) For now, I am really happy with the outcome of my bookshelf!! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment