Sunday 10 February 2013

BA5 Studio Project | Production #26


Organising UV’s

Lothar taught me that I need to make sure I organise my UV’s well enough within the grid so make the most of the space.  This is something I never practiced before but thankfully its more time consuming that difficult. I spent today re-building my books for the top shelf of the bookcase  because I realised that as they were previously, I would have had to of mapped them all separately which would have been a frustrating given how simple they are to just duplicate with a UV map already unwrapped. 

Lothar told me that I should start with the biggest book first and use that as the main unwrapped model. That way I would only have to duplicate smaller versions of it which means the textures wouldn’t be an issues (as opposed to making bigger versions which would stretch the already mapped UV’s). 
 
The book in the middle is the biggest book that I unwrapped originally. I then duplicated it and downsized it. By right clicking on the newly duplicated book and selecting “UV” I was able to see where the new UV had been placed on the grid (which was right on top of the original book that I duplicated from). I simply selected UV on the grid, highlighted this new books UV’s and moved them so that they didn’t overlap. 

  
I repeated this process until I had the correct number of books to fill the shelf on the bookcase. As you can see the UV map is the same which I need to talk to Lothar about asap to see if they need tweaking. I also want to see if I can assign this as its own UV set and then make the picture frames and vase on another UV set and then finally the bookcase on another so that all 3 main areas has 1 UV set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment