Wednesday 13 November 2013

BA7 | Concept and Pre-Production #13


3D Environment Study: Alice Madness Returns
Alice Madness Returns was developed by Spicy Horse and published by EA, it was released in 2011. The game is labelled a psychological horror game which fits in perfectly with my 3D project because I want to re produce the essence and flare of psychological horror within my environment. Wait, there’s more! It’s INCREDIBLY surreal; something that I also want to inject into my project.

The first 27 minutes of Alice Madness Returns

Because my research report and studio project cross over and blend together in terms of themes, ideas, terminologies, techniques, mechanics, genre and much more I am going to be using the research I have done so far in order to produce a far more academic study and analysis of the games environment. My project focuses on how environment artists inject horror into their 3D environments in games, my research for BA7 so far has consisted on mechanics and ways in which this is done in multiple media formats such as film and art, therefore I will be drawing from what I have learnt so far to make specific points that will aid my pre production work.

Surrealism
Alice Madness Returns is incredibly surreal with regards to it’s environments (well to be fair, nearly every aspect of the game is surreal, narrative, characters, themes…the list goes on). I am incredibly interested in the surreal aspects of the environments within Alice Madness Returns because I want to promote some sort of surrealism into my psychological horror environment as a means of creating fear in the player. 

 

These screenshots are examples to show you how large in comparison to Alice the surreal worlds of the game are. They encompass her in their surroundings are often daunting and intimidating to the player to be amongst. Claustrophobia plays a large part in the cognitive reaction the player could feel to provoke fear as a lot of the environments contain smaller “nooks and crannies” where the player can feel underpowered and vulnerable as the environment becomes dominating in terms of space and room to manoeuvre. 


A common element of surrealism is to play with dimensions and obscure the proportions of recognisable objects. In Alice Madness Returns Alice is able to shrink in order to go through secret keyhole doors. This is surreal for three reasons, 1: the keyholes are massive in comparison to normal keyholes, but not big enough for Alice to fit, 2: Keyholes aren't doors? And 3: Alice is able to shrink which makes the keyholes appear even bigger which further distorts the laws of basic proportions.

  
Alice Madness Returns often uses the notion of falling, missing, corrupted, juxtaposed and invisible floors to emphasise the surrealism within the playable environment space. 

   
The use of vibrant but unusual and highly saturated colours to differentiate between playable environments sets the tone of area to the player. In this particular scene Alice has left the toxic green, polluted and smokey exterior and ventures into an interior via a broken wall. Inside there are surreal dodo’s/chicken/poultry of some variety hanging from the ceiling with a pool of blood underneath. This use of abstract mise-en-scene helps create a truly surreal scene.

 
Even the enemies in Alice Madness Returns are surreal, but they are hauntingly surreal. Linking back to Ivana Muller's’ theory that the audience will feel more fear If they can relate something to human form. In this case, the surreal use of a creature that has a baby dolls face, arms and legs and also appears to move in a human fashion increases the frightening factor these enemies poses. 

 
The environments in the game are overwhelmingly surreal and I will post comparisons when I begin to produce surreal artist studies because saying “they are surreal” doesn’t quite cut it when I haven't got any visual research to compare and contrast with, however for now you must rest assured that these environments are super surreal. They help me a great deal with regards to the overall feeling of the environments that I want to have within mine but I feel that the use of bright vibrant and oversaturated colours doesn’t communicate horror. Whilst many of the environments in the game have surreal assets, they aren't to scare or cause fear, they are primarily there to create a world of confusion because ultimately that is what Alice in Wonderland is about. The games trying to display another world, one that exists within Alice’s head. Sure, If we go by the themes of Lovecraftian horror, the game contains elements that may result in horror related emotions such as the fear of the unknown, loss of sanity and surrealism generally (all of which is contained within these environments in the game) but the way in which they are presented don’t often lead the player to react in a scared manner as one would in comparison to Amnesia. 

The point is that whilst surrealism can cause horror (and there are places where this happens during play) the games primary communication via surrealism doesn’t cause the player to feel physiological changes associated with fear, terror and anxiety; at least not like most psychological horror games do and therefore I need to ensure I don’t accidentally replicate this within my environment because it wont communicate the correct emotion and genre to the player. 

Visual Semantics and Stimuli
Following my research and studies into the theories of emotion and how audience are communicated to and manipulated by visual medias I want to discuss the visual semantics and stimuli found within the surreal world of Alice Madness Returns. By this I mean that I'm going to discuss the smaller elements found within the massive surreal environments that communicate narrative via semantics and can cause physiological and cognitive changes in emotion. I will then discuss how this relates to my studio project and how it will benefit me. Lets start with the obvious one shall we? Blood..

 
Blood is a common visual semantic in horror games. It sends an incredibly strong visual message to the player and has severe connotations with danger, harm, death and violence; all of which are associated with horror, fear and terror. Seeing these with games can cause the player to go through the suggested emotional changes, their brains recognise the visual semantic which causes physiological changes such as sweaty palms and nervous shakes, the cognitive change associates these reactions with fear and thus the visual semantic has communicated to the player that they should feel fear in these environments.


Its not just blood that can send a message to the player associated with fear. When I was playing I came across these sudden broken plate pieces. I hadn’t seen any plates or chinaware for a while in terms of surreal levels so to suddenly see some broken on the floor caused me to feel uneasy and nervous in the environment. Something wasn’t quite right and this was communicated visually by the semantics behind the broken plate connotations. 


This statue is crying, only her tears are black. Black has connotations with death and darkness. Therefore the visual semantics behind this statue suggest that something isn't quite right in this surreal but beautiful dystopian world.

  
The delicate white china severely contrasts against the reds of the hard solid rock formations. This surreal environment communicates danger by showing broken china amongst a hardened environment. Juxtaposition works.

Influential Environment Assets
Moving onto the more practical side of the study whereby I have found assets within the surreal world of Alice Madness Returns that I find influential and inspiring; many of my ideas so far have been a direct result of the assets found within the game. Here’s a variety of screens I found with inspirational assets that I will list off at the end.  


  • Mysterious railway tracks
  • Surreal object protruding walls (Voxophones)
  • Juxtaposition of assets and environments (teapots made of delicate china juxtaposed against the hard dark red rock environment)
  • Surreal mushrooms, exterior assets but built with what looks like china and patchwork colours, distorted and obscure.
  • Surreal doors that lead “no where” but communicate voyeurism and show secret areas.
  • Crack or broken walls that reveal mysterious secretive and surreal areas within the environment, these may also be from a voyeuristic position whereby the player can only peer through into a new area and see something that may communicate the theme to them (like in Outlast where I could see blood through a door but not go in to investigate).
  • Distorted cages, boxes, chests and other forms of containment.

Technical Aesthetic Inspiration
Whilst Alice Madness Returns is labelled a horror game, its not got constant visuals/aesthetics similar to that of Silent Hill whereby throughout the entire game the environments are testing and communicating to the player specific emotions, themes and genres. Having said this, there are environments in Alice Madness Returns that do inspire and influence my studio work and that are greatly reminiscent of psychological horror game Silent Hill. 
 
In this section I am going to refer to the screenshots I took which inspired me with regards to textures and atmosphere found within the environments, ones that I think help communicate similar emotions to the player that I am trying to re create within my project. 


I really like how there is still use of slightly vibrant and contrasting colours here but the lighting and atmospheric fog dims the saturation. This is an inspiration lighting example that demonstrates similar lighting to that of the lights I want to create.


I want to pay attention to areas where something else might have happened and ensure my textures reflect the action and communicate the narrative to the player like the manhole and rust/blood smear do here.
  

I really like the surreal juxtaposition of the rusty old door that is randomly placed on top of the dirty checker floor. I want to make use of rusty textures in my environment and this game does it really well in my opinion. Here are some more examples of how rust has been used in the game on similar assets to those I want to re create such as large industrial pipes, manholes and gates. I can recall this study for visual comparison when creating my own textures.

 
What I like most here is the use of randomly placed autumnal grass texture that is on the floor of an industrial themed level. It reinforces the surreal nature of the environments in the game. The section of the level is already floating and there is another randomly placed rusty door on the floor too which further adds to the surreal assets within the environment. This is something I could consider when texturing my environment. I want to think about how I can manipulate walls and floor in a similar fashion and perhaps case some confusion amongst the fear within the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment