Monday 25 November 2013

BA7 | Concept and Pre-Production #22


Practical Study Continued
Continuing on from my main practical study where I created animated fog in UDK from the expression nodes and textures made in Photoshop I made a small environment for my fog to be “showcased”.

I decided the best thing to do was to use UDK’s content browser to build a horror themed environment. At first I was only going to make some floor and walls but then I got stuck right in a designed a proper little horror corridor.  I picked the assets I felt had the most appropriate aesthetics for a horror environment and had a mess around placing them together.

As the practical study didn’t begin as a project, I didn’t screen capture it as I went along. However, I did say I would  update my blog with videos showing the animated fog (as if you go back to the post where I demonstrated the node network I’ve only shown still images of it). So, here are the videos that show the environment and the animated fog. Im really proud of this practical study, I ended up putting a lot of time and effort into it :D
 
 
Animated fog in UDK made by me :D 
VIDEO SOURCE 
 
 
 Walkthrough showcasing the horror environment and fog I made in UDK
VIDEO SOURCE
I was slightly limited in that I was only using UDK’s in game content browser to create a horror themed environment but I feel I did a good job communicating the themes I had in my head when building it.

I felt inspired by the various visual studies I had done for BA7 from games such as Dead Space. The static mesh’s were kinda sci-fi in appearance so I went with the concept that this is an old uninhabitated (or is it!? Hmmmm :P) underground  science lab/bunker. The fallen rocks and vegetation growing through the walls and floor suggest that this place hasn’t been used by humans in a long time.

The scene is dark and derelict which are two  key themes I refer to when studying work which is why I am glad this practical study illustrates them :D

No comments:

Post a Comment