Wednesday 13 November 2013

BA7 | Concept and Pre-Production #14


Researching Fog in UDK
As I mentioned previously I am shifting my workflow pipe line of pre production from Maya only to Maya through to UDK. This means I need to ensure I take time to learn any special techniques for UDK as a part of my pre production work. After all, that’s the idea of BA7. 



Following on from my Maya fog research I now need to understand how to build it in engine. The engine im using is UDK so I figured the best place to start would be in the UDK manual. Here I found some really well written explanations of the different types of fogs that can be created in UDK as well as the correct terminologies for the workflow. 

Fog Volume
The first type of fog that I am going to be studying and creating within UDK is called FOG VOLUME. It essentially consists of three separate functions that can alter its appearance, they are: DENSITY which controls the fall off of the fog, a MESH which contains the density function and a MATERIAL that displays the colour of the fog. 

Fog volumes form a set within the fog height actors in UDK which I will go into separately. The difference between fog volumes and fog height is that volumes can be bound by a mesh, display multiple density functions and be customised.



Before I start showing you my progress so far this evening I must admit that I am very new to UDK at the moment. My knowledge goes about as far as exporting an FBX asset from Maya into UDK, bringing across my textures and materials and then adding a very basic collision mesh. I began this study thinking this wouldn’t be too hard to have a go at but I found myself getting easily frustrated as I cant quite get the fog to appear how I want it to yet. However, this is only my first study and I plan to talk to my tutors to get a bit more knowledge with the capabilities of the fog volumes in UDK. 

Setting Up Fog Volumes: Automatic Setup
As I didn’t really know what I was doing at first I opened up a static mesh from the  CONTENT BROWSER because I thought, from the tutorials I was following, that I could apply the fog volume to the overall mesh and tailor it to sort of “float” atop the  mesh. I was wrong. Either way, this is what I did first. 



   Open a STATIC MESH from the CONTENT BROWSER in UDK, UDK has a library full of pre built  and textured static meshes that you can use to flesh out your level.

I soon realised that it wasn’t this particular static mesh I needed to apply the fog volume too but another static mesh that would take control and visually display the fog volumes attributes. Still confused, I opened up the sphere I thought I was supposed to use from the content browser static meshes' which was called “FogVolumeSphere”…kinda thought this was definitely the right thing to use….I was wrong :’) 



As you can see, I was given a sharp sphere made of fog sure, but it wasn’t the look I was going for! (unfortunately)

 
This fog wasn’t near anything I was expecting or wanting in my head so I had to move on. I then built a STATIC SPHERICAL MESH from the CONTENT BROWSER…the correct non fog volume ready one. 

 
The next step was to go back to the CONTENT BROSWER and select the ACTOR CLASSES tab at the top. I then EXPANDED FOG and LEFT CLICK DRAG & DROPPED FogVolumeConstantDensityInfo into the UDK scene (that’s what the little green lizard head thing represents…) 


The tutorial I was following (foundHERE) stated that I needed to basically attach the STATIC MESH to the FogVolumeConstantDensityInfo in order for the FOG VOLUME to visually change the SPHERE into FOG.

 
I decided that a sphere wasn’t going to work very well because I wanted the fog to seemingly float across the floor. That is when I repeated the initial steps…STATIC MESH (CUBE this time) > SELECT FogVolumeConstantDensityInfo  FROM ACTOR CLASSES > APPLY  STATIC MESH TO ACTOR ATTRIBUTES TO CREATE CUBED FOG

 
This is where I learnt how to use the VIEWPORT (similar viewport to Maya) in UDK whereby I could select the STATIC FLOOR MESH (rocks) and RESIZE them so that they were bigger than the FOG VOLUME. I was then also able to learn the tool whereby I can manually manipulate the geometry within UDK which enabled me to lower the FOG VOLUME so that it appeared to sit on top of the floor. 


I was then able to use the FogVolumeConstantDensityInfo attributes to edit the FOG VOLUMES DENSITY. 


And here is the final outcome :D



I am pretty pleased with myself for learning this with the aid of the tutorials and help from friends I was able to learn a new techniques that will help my pre production work flow and pipe line work towards BA8. I am sad that I only got this far tonight, there are other forms of fog volumes that I want to try but now that I have this basic method down I really hope the others are a little more straight forward. Something I want to discuss with my tutors is if there is a way to make the fog drop off at the edges as currently this looks far too box ish with harsh edges that I do not want. Id also like to see if there are any ways to create an animated rolling fog effect similar to the one I created in Maya because I simply cant find any tutorials online that are beginner friendly! Still, I am happy with this step forward in terms of progress, a step forward is always better than a step backwards ;D 

No comments:

Post a Comment