Monday 25 November 2013

BA7 | Concept and Pre-Production #19


Surrealism Study 2 - Salvador Dali
Salvador Dali is one of the most famous artist to emerge from the Dada and surrealist art movements although he often opposed the values and morals of the movement itself, his work reflected the themes and techniques commonly associated with the style. He was born in 1904 and was a skilled draftsman but was best known and famous for his bold and visually striking surreal images which were bizarre and odd. 

How Does This Relate To My Work?
His style doesn’t particularly communicate strong horror, at least not in the psychological sense that I have been referencing. It does however, influence me with regards to the ways in which I will model the assets in my psychological horror environment. Dali was a strong believer in Freudian theories and this is clear in his images, he clearly communicates psychological theories and themes which is similar to psychological horror game, however,  some of his images are bright, vibrant and colourful which is not how I want my environment to be aesthetically. 

I have stated I want to use surrealism as a means to uniquely inject and communicate horror within my scene. While some of Dali’s work doesn’t promote commonly associated visuals seen in psychological horror games, they do illustrate confusion, distortion, obscurity and other complex themes not dissimilar to those I want to convey in my work. Therefore I have chosen his work to be my second surrealism study to benefit my studio project. 

Image #1 "Javanese Mannequin"

 “Javanese Mannequin” - Salvador Dali

This is “Javanese Mannequin” by Salvador Dali painted in 1934. The image is truly abstract and bizarre upon first glance and forces the viewer to try and determine a form or name for the surreal image. The distorted human figured paired with the skeletal frame which lies atop is a juxtaposition which communicates themes of life and death. 



Unlike other paintings by Dali, this image is reminiscent of Bacons work whereby the object of focus is seemingly “lost” in an undefined space of colour. Dali uses strong shadow and an intense fill light from the right hand side to create sharp shadows on the floor. This seems to be the only light source in the image which reflects how horror fiction such as games and films commonly use limited light sourced to highlight key areas of focus to increase the shock factor. 



What I also really like, and find inspiring for my project, is Dali’s “mish-mash” of geometry, shapes, figures, distortion of form and lack of clarification upon space and light. I want to try and build a surrealist model that will communicate and inject horror into my scene and I feel this is a fantastic inspiration and influence to help me achieve that. 

How this Influences my Environment
How will this painting be a visual inspiration and influence for my project?


  • The lack of clarified space and surroundings intensified by scratches of colour and eerie colour spectrum helps communicate uneasy emotions of haunting horror.
  • Juxtaposition of “random” objects will help to distinguish and inform my assets when I attempt to build something hauntingly surreal.
  • Distortion of form to create confusion.
  • Obscuring natural human figures.
  • Strong directional light only to highlight point of interest.
  • Uncomfortable positioning of model and form. 

 Image #2 "Modern Rhapsody - The Seven Arts (1957)
 

“Modern Rhapsody - The Seven Arts (1957)” - Salvador Dali

  This is “Modern Rhapsody - The Seven Arts” painted by Dali in 1957. I have chosen this piece is because of the contents. I really like how the objects are completely disjointed in their nature but they connect in order to create obscure and distorted forms. This one is only a short study, I wanted to clarify how I plan to experiment by building assets in a similar style for my horror environment. Whilst the overall tone of this image doesn’t communicate horror, it does promote confusion, distortion, obscurity and an un nerving sense of discomfort; all elements I want to portray in my scene. 

How this Influences my Environment
How will this painting be a visual inspiration and influence for my project?


  • Confusing alignment of models that are not commonly associated together to emphasise confusion and distortion which are two key themes for my environment.
  • Seemingly “random” assets used to communicate obscurity (im sure the objects have symbolism and metaphorical meaning but Im not sure what the painting as a whole means, im taking it at face value!). 

Image #3 "The Path of Enigmas" 

 “The Path of Enigmas (first version) - Salvador Dali (1981)
  
This is “The Path of Enigmas (first version)” painted by Dali in 1981. I have chosen it because the use of repetition is bold and striking. The composition is also obscure and very surreal. I also feel influenced to create some form of “sack” similar to that which appears in this painting. The sacks differentiate as they go down the line but they also maintain metaphorical meaning a symbolism. I want to attach alternative meanings that manifest themselves visually within my environment too so this is a great inspiration. 

How this Influences my Environment
How will this painting be a visual inspiration and influence for my project?


  • Intimidating perspective and composition.
  • Influential asset idea.
  • Visual manifestation of symbolism and metaphorical alternative meanings.

Salvador Dali Study Summary
Okay, so I have established that although Dali’s work communicated and illustrates themes, ideas, symbols and other functions closely associated with psychological horror, it doesn’t really have the overall aesthetics of a psychological horror piece  like, say, Francis Bacons work which is disturbing. Dali’s work is confusing and could be considered disturbing when given the true meaning of the images, however at first glance his work isn't representative of the overall aesthetic I want to achieve in my environment. 

I do, however, feel inspired by his composition and subject matter. His nature to obscure and distort to communicate is exactly the essence of surrealism I want to portray within my psychological horror environment. I want to take this flare of surreal Dali and incorporate it into my asset design and attempt to inject themes of  horror aligned with surrealism to achieve the visual and theoretical aesthetics I desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment