Friday 28 October 2011

Contextual Studies

I'm Playing Catch Up...
I haven't updated my blog in a week again. What's my excuse? Well, right now it's that I am just not used to blogging, this is my 1st! The odd thing is that I am enjoying it, I just always put off updating. A naughty habit I must break.

On with the important information. Last Thursday (20th) we had another contextual studies session in which we watched a video from the Discovery Channel called "Rise of the Video Game" (links to YouTube versions below). All I am simply going to do for this post is include links to the video and write up the notes I took whilst watching it. Unfortunately I couldn't find a full version of the video and YouTube has upload limits so I am having to use a version which is separated into five 9 minute videos (videos are not mine and are uploaded to YouTube by user AresBrutus, I do not take credit for them, I am using them purely as an example).  

Rise of the Video Game: PART 1 
Rise of the Video Game: PART 2 
Rise of the Video Game: PART 3 
Rise of the Video Game: PART 4 
Rise of the Video Game: PART 5 

My Notes...
  • Gateway to the future, complex art form. 
  • Culture, creativity, more complex structure than film. 
  • Very 20th century - pushing buttons. 
  •  Historical link: Cold war, war at sea, button to launch missiles. 
  • "Expression of adolescent inspiration" - The light blue tennis game, light hearted distraction from war/real life (tennis for 2). 
  •  Space war - early hackers. 
  •  Foundation of the joystick
  • Games evolving around and beyond the worlds problems. 
  • Tom Baer, Brown box, "all purpose box" (APB). 
  • Video game industry cam from USA military funded pc's and people clever enough to programme them to play games/people smart enough to build games to play on them. 
  • Bushnell and Atari 1st to decide gaming could make money. 
  • Pong was the beginning of the Industry, Atari and arcades. 
  • "Even if everything was perfect in the world, we'd still need entertainment".
  • After world war 2 Japans gaming industry started to boom as key to Japans success. 
  • Kids banned from Space Invaders for having fake coins for arcade machines, beginning of anti social behaviour linked through to older generations.
  • Nic Kelman: "Video Game Art". 
  • Activision are Atari..
  • 1983 "The Great Fall" - quickly manufactured games were bad.
  • Pacman was inspired by a slice of pizza.

The Most Simple Game I Remember Playing... 
This would be Asteroids for the PS1. At least, I think it is. When I try to remember actually playing this game, talking about the gameplay and levels my mind goes blurry. All I see is the old style asteroids (which I ironically, do not remember playing...ever), a small white outline of a ship with similarly designed "asteroids" flying around prime for shooting. This is really just not the case with Asteroids on the PS1. This had colour, style and power-ups. Still, it was a simple game. Fly in, shoot asteroids, dodge enemies, shoot more asteroids, do a flamboyant loop-de-loop with your ship, shoot more asteroids, go to next level. Pretty simple stuff. There is no interaction with the background either which adds to the simplicity. You are literally on 1 screen that may change depending on the level you are playing but other than that you are stuck in a box, with 1 background, similar enemies and 1 main objective that never really changes (as far as I can remember). Here is some gameplay footage I found on YouTube...(this is not my own footage, I found it on YouTube by a user named OldsXCool)... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment