Monday 10 October 2011

Project 1: Design a Board Game

Look, some artwork! Yaaay!
Everyone in the group has been given allocated areas to focus on regarding the board game, I am team leader/head researcher. Having said this, we all decided it would be in our best interests for our blogs and general self satisfaction to get involved in other areas if we feel we have time/want too. That is why I have dabbled a little in the concept designs for the board and also put my ideas down on paper concerning the art theme for the game. I am fine with it not being used in the final product. It's more so I can show I had my own ideas and feelings, as I am sure the rest of team "SUPER AWESOME" do as well.

Concept art: Designing the board...

We have allocated a team member the job of designing and making the board itself. However, when we were unsure as to what our game was even going to be, we had alot of different concepts flying around. I decided to try and mock them up on paper, either mashing good ideas together or taking 1 good idea and drawing it. Here they are...


Open Board Concept
  • Open board means the player can move wherever they please.
  • The aim would be to move multiple pieces and cover as many squares as possible. Some squares would contain special items to build up your totem pole.
  • The first player to build their totem pole and have as much "covered land" as possible is the winner. 
  • players have to move their totem pole piece from the allocated square into the middle of the board which is "free land" where all the totem poles are being built.

Cowboys & Indians Theme
  • The main theme here would be "Cowboys & Indians" instead of just "Native Americans". Less of the historical stuff, more of the FUN.
  • It would involve a "fight" by the players to get from one side of the board to the other following various spaghetti paths to find their cards. 
  • The cards would contain "set pieces" used by players to build their village/settlement. Indians would build a totem pole & Cowboys a guard tower. Then the players would land on certain squares to collect the rest of the village/settlement pieces such as a campfire, tepee, long house. 
  • A dice would determine how many spaces the player could move, the multiple paths eliminate the chance factor that comes with dice. The player has to use their brain to see where they need to go and which way would be best.

Building a Settlement Concept
  • The idea here is you travel around the board to collect pieces for your village or settlement. Similar to the previous concept, only a little more focused and not as messy. 
  • Players land on squares to determine what card they pick up. The aim is to land on squares according to the items you need for your settlement. 
  • Movement is determined by dice but again, there are multiple paths leading to specific cards the player may need. This totally eliminates the chance because the player needs to analyse where they need to go and why. 
  • The theme here would be Cowboys and Indians
  • First to completely finish building their settlement is the winner.

Conclusion...
Wow, blogger has been useless tonight. It's taken 40 minutes just to get those photo's the right way round! I was going to post more concept art but I fear for  my sanity if I carry on tonight. Tomorrow we have the group presentation, I feel confident we will have a strong pitch which helps the nerves. I will want to write up how that goes and what we take from it. I also plan to do some more concept art and start sorting through my research. I will post the rest of my initial concept art either tomorrow or Wednesday as I can't stand looking at blogger anymore tonight. As for the board game, well I think we are getting there! I fairly sure I can see some light at the end of this board game shaped tunnel...

No comments:

Post a Comment