Sunday 30 October 2011

Project 1: Design a Board Game

Hooray, I Can See Light at the End of the Tunnel! 
Today I finished the main bulk of my research document. All that is left to do is collect research from the rest of the group, meet up with Robin and put together a classy looking research document for the hand in. I have been doing various research throughout the project but thought it would be best to put together my document when we had a solid game. That is why I have been doing it towards the end of project 1. 

When Robin and I went through our design and came up with main areas of research we went on to separate those areas up and allocate each other specific areas to look into so that we were just doing random research or research that is identical. Here is a list of the final research areas (the ones in bold are my areas that I have researched): 
  • Board design
  • Philosophy/psychology of "fun"
  • Psychology of children's board games
  • What do kids enjoy in board games?
  • The meaning behind board games
  • The history of board games
  • Why do we play board games?
  • What can adults learn from kids board games?
  • Cultural terms and differences in our board game
  •  What are the politically correct terms for "Indians"?
  • Art styles of the board game
  • Sexism and board games
  • 1950's culture
  • Totem poles and guard towers
  • Game mechanics
I feel like my blog is so text heavy. So is my research. But when you are one of 2 main researchers in a group that's just what you get. Luckily now that I have finished my research I can focus primarily on the new project which I will hopefully type up tomorrow. That will entail much more artwork which is what I want to be doing. 

As for wrapping this project up, well, we still have a bit of work to do and I plan to call a group meeting tomorrow to see how everyone is getting on so we can work together to finish it off. I'm not going to post on here all my research because there is alot and it's all very heavily text based articles looking into the psychology of games, kids and adults playing board games. All of which is too heavy for my blog. What I do plan to do is do a post where I upload the groups work so you can see how our game looks, all its elements and where it's at right now (which is basically a finished project). I will also try to condense important parts of my research to post up, things I find incredibly interesting and worthy of my blog. This is hopefully what I will try to do over the next few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment