Friday 7 October 2011

Project 1: Design a Board Game

So many board games!
We decided a trip to a local toy store would do us some good. We could take a look at the different games, how complex or simple they were and what ages seemed to be most popular. This way we could cross reference to our own game and justify our choices in complexity and age ratings. I took some photographs in the store (ninja style) of some of the games aimed at a similar age group as our game. Here is what I found... (All the photographs posted below are ones I have taken myself)


   "HEROICA"
This was the first board game that caught my eye. A board game complex enough to contain a storyline. A battle between 2 factions which includes building your fort and using common sense to win the game. This game has an age guide of 8+...not dissimilar to our game.



"ATLANTIS TREASURE"
Another fairly complex looking game aimed at a similar age range (9+). I downloaded the rules to this game and it even sounds complicated to me, and I'm nearly 21. You have to use a compass...yeah, good luck. (I will post about rules of similar games at a later date as part of research, it will be good to compare and contrast so that we know if our game is too complex or not).


"SpongeBob MONOPOLY"
This has the exact same rules as monopoly only it is themed with spongebob. It's aimed at an 8+ age range too. The rules of Monopoly are still fairly complex.



"BATTLESHIP"
I never understood Battleship, even when I was young. But then again I haven't tried to play it since I was very young. I am sure the more modern versions are more player friendly. Still, the age range here is 7+. Players need to use their brains to eliminate other battleships. A high level of skill is needed.

 

"DOTTY DINOSAURS"
I included this in my research because it is crucial to see the difference in "board" game when you start lowering your age range. This is a game aimed at preschool children. It's aimed at 3 - 6yrs and has the player matching shapes and colours with "cute" dinosaur mascots.


Summary...
  • Our game doesn't need to be dumbed down quite as much as we thought, we need to realise how smart children of certain ages actually are. I think a 7/8+ age range is very dynamic and gives us enough freedom. 
  • They style of game is important. Dotty Dinosaurs is overly cartoon and simple; in keeping with its simplistic game play for very young children. Our game needs to maintain sophistication but also keep a fun, "cartoony" element so that it's still fun. 
  • Building seems to be very popular (LEGO). Maybe our take on the building part is a smart move. (Building the guard towers and totem poles).
  • We must remember and research into the correct balance of game play whilst also ensuring our board is still fun for kids. 
  •  It would be good to look into other boards (not just boxes) to determine the styles and types of boards we could use which maintain the same level of sophistication and art to keep the players  entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment