Thursday 22 November 2012

BA4 Contextual Studies: Creating Coherent Worlds #7


Contextual Studies Presentation
I wont lie, at the end of last week I was still struggling to finalize my presentation idea/question. I  had a few themes and ideas buzzing through my mind so I had to sit back and let the idea form. Luckily, on Sunday evening, it hit me. I should do a study instead of a question and incorporate all the areas which interest me into short, informative studies.
This is when I decided that I wanted to base my presentation on: 

Narrative Theory
Transmedia
Theme

But how, how do I connect these to my presentation? Well, that is when I devised this beauty: 

A Study of Crucial Components Which Help Create Coherent Worlds. 

This meant I could cleverly include the 3 main areas I had enjoyed the most from our series of contextual studies lectures whilst also approaching the 10 minute time frame in smaller concentrated chunks. It no longer felt daunting. 

After this I started to gather ideas on what to cover under each of the 3 sections. That went as follows: 

Narrative Theory
Applying Propp's 7 spheres of action upon a video game world, likely Journey. This is to prove that narrative structure is crucial to creating coherent characters, so what if I applied it to the game world, could I conclude that the game world also contains narrative structure and is therefore coherent even though Journey is an abstract art game? Well yes, yes I could. This was my first section sorted. 3 minutes roughly. 

Transmedia
I decided the next part would cover how the use of transmedia plays a crucial role in creating coherent worlds and how those worlds are consistently ported from various medias successfully to ensure that world is kept coherent. I decided Batman would be the best transmedia franchise to follow because it spans across so many different medias and yet retains similar, if not the same, coherent elements across the board. I focussed on how characters (linked from narrative) have evolved over the years across various medias and how they eventually lead to the Batman Video games. I can talk about why they are successful coherent worlds and what helps contribute to making them this way.

Theme
Finally I would finish on theme. I really enjoyed Kim’s lecture on theme and I felt it influenced me greatly. I knew I wanted to talk about how player become immersed in themes of games and that themes are crucial and must be consistent throughout to ensure the player doesn’t become distanced from the world leaving them unsatisfied.
It might seem a bit cheeky to do this, considering I had done extensive research following each of the presentations on my blog so I already sort of “had” the information (sitting right under my nose!) all the time. I just needed to find reliable back up sources and quotes to pull the presentation together. 

Other than all the research I have documented throughout CS, here is a list of websites I visited and links to website versions of books that I read for the contextual studies presentation as well as links to other useful information I discovered.  








No comments:

Post a Comment