Wednesday 14 November 2012

BA4: Game Design Document #30


Designing Health
As a group, we knew from early on that we wanted to implement a similar health system to Amnesia. We too wanted the player to use their inventory to discover a context sensitive sentence which would inform the player, vaguely, how injured they are. This sentence wouldn’t direct the player to use health items, nor would it have a guide on how badly injured the player is, it would just vaguely reflect the amount of damage taken from hazards in game. 

Knowing this, I realised I needed to design the illustration the player see’s in their inventory. Having designed rough inventory layouts I knew roughly what I wanted. A small illustration which signifies health. I knew I wanted a heart but I didn’t want to directly copy amnesia. Having done some basic research on hearts and health metaphors/symbols I came up with the idea of using the heart as if it were a body. This body would have to portray life, which lead me to bones. 

I knew the shape had to resemble a heart so I cleverly designed one side of the illustration as a realistic heart and the other half as a curved rib cage. This implemented my “heart and bones equal life” concept and gave the metaphor for health its meaning. 

#1 - Basic Heart Shape

 
#2 - Shading & Defining Areas


#3 - More Shading and Defining 

 
 #4 - Heart Finished, Ready for Rib Cage

 
#5 - Practising Heart Shaped Rib Cage

  
#6 - Applying Rib Cage to Design 


 #7 - Shading the Back of the Rib Cage

 
#8 - Final Outcome - half heart, half rib cage in the shape of a heart


No comments:

Post a Comment