Monday 12 November 2012

BA4: Game Design Document #26


Distorted Delirium Asset Design - Lianna’s Camera
So, as I mentioned in my previous blog post, I am designing the camera for ingame use. I was going to use Maya but as time is against me, I went with Google SketchUp (which took long enough as it was haha).

Things I have kept in mind: 

Camera Interface: I have kept the user interface of the camera simple, a big screen for the player to view any photographs they take in the game. There are also only a small amount of buttons on the back, true of compact DSLR’s, so that when the player uses the camera they aren't bombarded with buttons and left thinking “oh lord, which one do I use?!”

Camera functions: If Lianna is in a really dark area of the game and needs to take a photograph, the camera has an inbuilt flash located at the front of the camera. Although its dangerous to use the flash in the museum because it can alert monster, it wont be up to the player to use it. The flash will go off automatically. It will usually be needed for puzzles so the player can clearly see their photograph and its contents. 

Design: I mentioned previously that my group and I decided it would be best to give Lianna compact DSLR. My design incorporates the simplistic interface and size of a compact DSLR without looking like a simple point and shoot camera; this ensures that Lianna’s character as a semi professional photography student isn't compromised. 

  
I am so pleased with this design! It has turned out so well :D I am also happy with the textures although in areas they do not fit completely and have a slightly tiled effect or you can see “seams” where they join up but I am happy with the overall look so I don’t want to keep touching it for fear of overworking it. 

I plan on putting this into Photoshop and designing the camera UI so that we can show how the player will be able to view their images as well as what the buttons actually are on the camera.
I also want to layer this into one of Olive’s environment concepts so that I can give a visual example of the HUD the player will experience in game when using the camera.

Textures
I used a variety of different textures on this model, both ones that I found online as well as ones from the SketchUp library.  

 Shiny Aluminium, used on various buttons, edges and parts of the frame: http://rlv.zcache.com.au/brushed_aluminium_texture_postcard-p239710058894107051envli_400.jpg





 

 


2 comments:

  1. Oh wow this looks great
    I'm using 3D program in class and I want to be able to do game design as well ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is really an amazing and attractive post. I appreciate your posted wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete